You can already hear your friends' voices in your head at the end of a long day in the sun together. "You did NOT make this ice cream yourself."
Yes, you did. And you didn't even need a ice cream maker, you'll tell them.
Since nothing makes a day in the sun better than some of your favourite dessert in the form of ice cream, why not try making it yourself?
For my Tiramisu-flavoured ice-cream, I simply set it straight into the freezer once mixed in a baking mold. Once it's frozen, I cut off slices and serve them on a plate. But careful – this dish has the potential to be addictive.
Of course, you'll get better results using a proper ice-cream maker, as it will make the ice cream even fluffier and creamier.
But even without it, it’s possible to make some great ice cream. It will only take a bit more time and strength, as you have to stir the cream every 60 minutes by hand.
Ingredients for a square pan (30 centimetres x 11.5 centimetres):
- 150 ml milk.
- 100 ml cream.
- 250 g mascarpone.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 50 g sugar.
- 1 packet bourbon vanilla sugar.
- 100 g ladyfingers (approx. 12 pieces, or more if the mould is larger).
- 100 ml strong, cold coffee.
- Cocoa powder for baking
- Square pan.
- Baking parchment.
- Ice-cream maker (optional).
- Whisk the milk, cream, vanilla extract, mascarpone and both sugars in a bowl and pour into an ice-cream maker (to make it without an ice cream maker, refer to step six).
- Leave to freeze in the ice-cream maker for about 1 hour.
- Line the pan with baking parchment.
- Put a layer of ice cream in the pan, spread ladyfingers on top and sprinkle with a little coffee.
- Pour the rest of the ice cream mixture on top and then cover completely with the remaining lady fingers. Sprinkle with coffee and freeze completely for at least 3 hours in the freezer.
- If you don't have an ice-cream maker, prepare ice cream mixture as described above, put it in the freezer in a baking mold and stir it every hour with a fork to avoid crystallization. Then proceed in the same way.
- Before serving, place the ice cream on a dish, pull off the baking paper and sprinkle with some cocoa. Cut into slices and serve on plates.