A man who crossed into North Korea from South Korea over the weekend had already defected from the North in November 2020, South Korean news agency Yonhap reported on Monday, citing an official from the Defence Ministry in Seoul.
Based on surveillance footage, the man is said to be a 30-something defector who had already crossed the heavily guarded inter-Korean border well over a year ago, this time going in the other direction.
The South Korean official said no evidence of espionage had been found.
The person was seen walking through the 4-kilometre-wide Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) which separates the two countries on Saturday night, according to the South Korean military.
North Korea was notified of the border incident through a military communication line, Seoul said.
It wasn't clear whether the person was a South Korean or North Korean citizen. It is extremely rare for South Koreans to cross into the North.